Since its inception, email marketing has been a highly effective marketing channel. It not only helps increase your revenue—it can help you build authentic connections with your customers. Here’s how you can start using email marketing to efficiently reach your customers and effectively market your business…
Choose the right email marketing platform for your business.
Before you can begin collecting email addresses and sending out exciting newsletters and important announcements, you need to choose the right email marketing platform for your business. There are several features to look for in any email marketing platform…
- Integration. Choose an email marketing platform that can seamlessly integrate with your CRM (customer relationship management software). This will allow you to manage your content, customer data, and key metrics efficiently and hassle-free.
- Responsive capabilities. Approximately 43% of people check their emails on their smartphones on a daily basis, so it’s important for your emails to be mobile-friendly. Choose an email marketing tool with functionality and mobile-optimized templates to ensure your emails display correctly on any device.
- Response handling. Regardless of the size of your business or your audience, email response handling is vital. For smaller audiences, you may be able to handle some of the responses manually without automation. But if you’re sending a newsletter or email series to several thousand individuals at any time, setting up automated responses will help alleviate or eliminate some serious stress and save you time.
With these key features in mind you can determine what email marketing platform will work best for you depending on your industry, your audience size, your budget, and what types of emails you’re wanting to send out. Here are some of the most popular platforms:
- Mailchimp is one of the most popular providers worldwide. They offer a free marketing plan, which is great for smaller businesses. Their email builder is easy to use, and offers a variety of great features for autoresponders, contact management, and analytic tracking. You can also queue your emails and set delivery times. Mailchimp easily integrates with WordPress, Shopify, and many other platforms.
- Constant Contact is another one of the world’s largest email marketing services. Their platform is easy to use and beginner friendly, and they have a variety of useful features with each plan. Constant Contact does not have a free plan, but they do offer a 60-day free trial.
- SendinBlue isn’t just an email marketing software—they also offer SMS, chat, and other services. Their platform is easy to use and they provide excellent tools to create stellar emails. They offer a free email marketing plan, as well as paid plans that include additional services and tools.
Once you’ve chosen your email marketing service, registered your account, and familiarized yourself with the platform, you can start assembling your contact list and collecting email addresses from new clients or prospective customers.
You may already have a list of email addresses you collected in your store, at an event, or for a previous email campaign. Always check the terms, conditions, and regulations of your email marketing platform (and your county/country’s regulations) to ensure that you are within email usage guidelines. You may need to provide those email address users with an opportunity to opt-in (or subscribe) to your new newsletter to avoid having your emails flagged as spam or rejected from their inboxes.
To collect new email addresses and subscribers, there are an endless number of ways to approach this, depending on your industry and audience…
If you have a retail store, restaurant, or brick-and-mortar service, you can ask your first time customers if they’d like to provide their email address to receive future updates and possible coupons. You can ask them directly at the time of purchase, or you can leave a sign-up list on your countertop for potential customers who may not be making a purchase on that visit but are interested in more details.
We highly suggest including a newsletter signup form on your website. You can include this in your footer so that it shows up on all website pages, or you can place it in a section of a highly-trafficked page (like your home or services page). If you don’t make any additional efforts to collect email addresses, this is a great organic way to collect those emails from visitors who are genuinely interested in updates and more information on your brand. You can also use a pop-up modal or a landing page offering an exclusive item (an ebook, a free sample, a discount, or free shipping) in exchange for their email address. This is a great way to incentivise your customer, and can potentially lead to conversion with your lead generation.
Start sending emails.
Once you’ve started building a list of contacts and valid subscribers, you can start sending out your emails! Brainstorm with your team and outline what your email campaigns should look like.
- Do you want to send updates on new products in your store or limited services?
- Do you want to offer coupons and discount codes to your subscribers?
- Do you want to provide informative industry updates or summaries of your recent blog posts?
Choose your topic or campaign, outline your email(s), and create your email(s) by either using your platforms templates or a custom layout. Then, send your email right away or queue it to send at a later date and time.
If you’re ready to get started on your email marketing, give us a call! We’d love to discuss your ideas, what platform may be best for your brand and budget, and how you can make the most out of your email campaigns! We can also create a stellar landing page or pop-up modal for email lead generation and add a signup form to your website.